Ask Iggy Summer 2012

Dear Iggy,

What is the history of your statue located in the Peace Quad between the Danna Student Center and the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library?

This memorial statue is said to be a life-sized depiction of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order. It was dedicated in October 2000 and was a gift of the Jesuits at Thomas Hall and Mr. and Mrs. John P. LaBorde.

The statue has been lovingly nicknamed Iggy, and the tradition of dressing Iggy for campus events started in the fall of 2000.

Dear Iggy,

What is the meaning behind the images on the Loyola University New Orleans seal?

The two fleurs-de-lis on the seal stand for New Orleans and Louisiana. The wolves are taken from the family seal of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuit order. The wolves over the pot symbolize generosity and giving. There is a story that after everyone had eaten, there was still enough to give to the wolves. The pelican feeding her young is a symbol of the state of Louisiana. The blue banners on either side, “Deo et Patriae,” mean “God and Country.” The Roman numerals at the bottom of the seal, MCMXII, mark the 1912 charter of the university.

The seal is located on the second floor of Marquette Hall outside of the Office of the President, and on the northwest corner of the Palm Court. But don’t walk on the seals! It’s a sign of respect.

Dear Iggy,

What is the significance of the ceremonial medal worn by the university president during commencement?

The concept of a president’s medallion is historically significant. In ancient and medieval Europe, such insignia was worn by figures of authority as a means of distinction. The medallion traditionally hangs from the wearer’s neck as a breastplate.

Loyola’s president’s medallion is a gold-dipped reproduction of the university seal, to which two fleurs-de-lis and a Roman cross have been added. The Roman cross symbolizes Loyola’s Catholic character and is inscribed with the date 1726, the year of the arrival of the Society of Jesus in Louisiana. The two fleurs-de-lis link the medal to its sterling silver chain, emphasizing Loyola’s link and commitment to the French heritage of the city of New Orleans and Louisiana. The fleur-de-lis on the left is inscribed with the date 1837, the founding of St. Charles College. The right fleur-de-lis is inscribed with the date 1849, which was the year the College of the Immaculate Conception was founded on Baronne Street.

Got a Question for Iggy?

Send it to or:

Ask Iggy, c/o LOYNO Magazine
Loyola University New Orleans
7214 St. Charles Ave., Box 909
New Orleans, LA 70118

View the complete summer 2012 issue of LOYNO.

Who are some of our most

Who are some of our most recognized or well known alumni?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.